- 20-Apr-2017 to 30-Apr-2017 (CST)
- New Braunfels, TX, USA
This individual will plan, organize, coordinate and/or administer programs in Public Health education, prevention, screening and treatment, using the latest public health methods and procedures, in order to protect and to improve the health of the citizens of Comal County.
Works under the general supervision of Commissioners Court.
Oversees the operations of the entire health department and directly supervises staff assigned in the department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is an essential duty position in the event of a designated Public Health emergency. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Duties include the following:
- This position has been identified as an essential duty position. In the event of an emergency, you shall report to work if ordered to do so by either of the following officials or positions: (1) Department Head, (2) County Judge/Emergency Management Coordinator, or (3) a member of Commissioners Court
- Directs the planning, managing, and coordinating of various programs, grants and contracts and coordinates with appropriate agencies.
- Directs immunization programs according to the laws of the State of Texas.
- Directs programming for screening and testing of diseases and other related health problems and refers for treatment as required.
- Using current methods of epidemiology, surveillance and intervention, aggressively acts to prevent transmission of Communicable Disease among the citizens of Comal County.
- Reports to Commissioners Court monthly on status of programs and health concerns. Reports to County Judge and Comal County Health Authority, as needed, threats from disease or disaster which potentially could affect the health of the community.
- Supervise the Executive Office Manager, Supervisor of Nursing Services, Public Health Emergency Preparedness Coordinator and operations of the Comal County Office of Public Health.
- Works closely with Comal County Health Authority to develop procedures and plans to protect the public health of the community.
- Meets with elected or appointed officials, other Emergency Management officials, community and business representatives and the public on all aspects of the Departments' activities.
- Consults with local, State, and federal officials on policy, regulations, and legislation, and ensures adherence to state and federal statutes, regulations, and guidelines.
- Other duties as required by Commissioners Court or the local Health Authority.
- Attendance is an essential function of the job.
Attends conferences and meetings to keep abreast of current trends in the field; represents the County Office of Public Health in a variety of local, county, state and other meetings. Serves as a member of various committees. Performs related duties as needed or required.
Note: The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position and is assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) with three (3) to five (5) years public health experience preferred or MSN or MPH and a current Texas license as a Registered Nurse.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Nurse will maintain current certification in C.P.R. Current Texas Licensure as RN. Must be insurable by Comal County Insurance company in order to operate County vehicles. Must provide copy of driving record (3 year history) from DPS.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to tactfully deal with the public in stressful situations. Ability to independently seek creative methods of motivating the pubic to obtain immunizations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has been identified with possible risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and/or other various hazards that require immunization against such exposure.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and exposure to Communicable Diseases is possible. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The employee further understands, and accepts, that this position falls under the provision of an "At Will" employment, and under no circumstances is this a contract for employment.