- 08-Feb-2017 to 01-Mar-2017 (CST)
- New Braunfels, TX, USA
Department: Sheriff's Office
SALARY VOLUNTEER / UNPAID
Reports To: Patrol Lieutenant/Patrol Captain
This position requires a Peace Officer Certification through TCOLE and requires thorough work knowledge of law enforcement procedures. The individual has daily contact with the public and is responsible for the preparation of offense reports. Responds to delegation of duties from Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain. This is a volunteer position and is unpaid.
Works under the general supervision of the Patrol
Lieutenance and Patrol Captain.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Duties include the following:
1. Maintains contact with the general public, court officials, and other county officials in the
performance of Sheriff's Office activities, as assigned.
2. Personally participates in investigating criminal law violations occurring within Comal County,
obtaining evidences and compiling information regarding these crimes, preparing cases for filing of
charges, testifying in court and related activities.
3. Works a uniformed shift in the performance of routine patrols, traffic control, investigation and first aid at accidents, detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct.
4. Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent.
5. Carries out duties in conformance with Federal laws, State laws and Comal County ordinances.
6. Patrols county streets and roads, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law, control vehicular traffic, prevent or detect and investigate misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations and to otherwise serve and protect.
7. Responds to emergency radio calls and investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, etc. Takes appropriate law enforcement action.
8. Interrogates suspects, witnesses and drivers; preserves evidence; arrests violators; investigates and renders assistance at scene of vehicular accidents, summons ambulances and other law enforcement vehicles; takes measurements and draws diagrams of scene; conducts follow-up investigations of crimes committed during assigned shift; leads and tips; searches scene of crimes for clues; analyzes and evaluates evidence and arrests offenders; prepares cases for giving testimony and testifies in court proceedings.
9. Prepares a variety of reports and records including officer's reports of investigation, field
interrogation reports, influence reports, bad check forms, vehicle impoundment forms, traffic hazard
10. Assists citizens with such matters as lock or stalled vehicles, crime prevention, drug resistance,
traffic safety, etc.
11. Serve legal papers/arrest warrants.
12. Make necessary contact with defendants and complainants; handle and investigate crime and crime scenes, and arrest offenders.
13. Handle commitments to hospitals and institutions.
14. Conducts traffic stops on violators and crash investigations.
Note: The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position and is assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent is required. The individual should possess a thorough knowledge of law enforcement procedures and practices. A minimum of one (1) year of experience in law enforcement is desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Other specialized job requirements include a valid Texas Driver's License and a basic Law Enforcement Certification with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education (TCOLE). Must be able to meet TCOLE and Department requirements for psychological and medical examinations. Must pass a written entrance exam and physical agility test.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine, reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has been identified with possible risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and/or other various hazards that require immunization against such exposure.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The employee further understands, and accepts, that this position falls under the provision of an "At Will" employment, and under no circumstances is this a contract for employment.